Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A few random NFL QB thoughts before the big game tomorrow night

I've been busy, so not a lot of posts, so I'm just going to word-vomit them all out at once.

1)  "The Dalton Line" - Quite a few analysts have been spraying this bit of nonsense around for a while.  The idea is that if you have a QB worse than Dalton, you need a new QB.  If your QB is better, then you are ok.  Typically Dalton sits between 15-20 in these rankings.  I find this pretty hilarious as it is a clear indication that playoff victories are perceived as a single player accomplishment.  Andy Dalton hasn't won in the playoffs.  He also hasn't played particularly well.  Does this remind you of anybody?  Peyton Manning comes to mind.  Matt Ryan has been horrible in the playoffs, but he is considered a top 10 QB.  I don't really see much difference between Matty Checkdown and Dalton, yet everybody hates Dalton... In fact, Dalton gets Romo-esque hate (Romo is a different beast, though).

2)  Johnny Manziel - Despite the best efforts of ESPN, Johnny Foosball will not be starting.  I've never seen so many pundits wet their pants over a 5-6 YPA.  Manziel is very good at running around, but he isn't so good at actually throwing the ball to his teammates.  I don't think Manziel sits on the bench long, but he likely won't be any good once he finally gets on the field.

3)  Jay Cutler - It doesn't even take ESPN to run a hype train on this guy.  My neighbor, my dad, probably the guy down the street who doesn't even like football, and everybody's moms think Jay Cutler is going to set records this year because he has SOOOO many weapons.  The team had the same weapons last year.  Jay Cutler still throws really stupid interceptions.  He will probably throw for 400 yards with 25 TD and 20 INT, which is a far cry from the crap I'm hearing.

4)  Eli Manning - This one really makes me chuckle.  Bob McAdoo installs a west coast offense, only to find that Eli Manning is completely incapable of throwing accurate short and intermediate passes.  This season could be the year that cements him as a two-time SB winner that doesn't make the hall of fame.  

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't get the vitriol directed at Dalton or Romo. They're both fine, Romo sometimes spectacular. Teams can win with those guys playing, and they help more than they hurt. Are they going to carry a team, or transform it? No. But that's something maybe a dozen guys in the league can do.

    Manziel. He was a blast to watch last year, and I'd love to think he can do that in the NFL, but I don't. My hope for him: a solid career and a colorful character, because god knows that league needs somebody whacky but more or less harmless.

    People are really hyping Cutler that much? I haven't noticed it, but okay. Cutler's not going to change. As long as he keeps smirking he can stay on my TV.

    I'll probably get stuck with a ton of Giants games on TV because I'm EST now and networks all think we should give a rip about eastern teams in big markets, even though they suck and are boring to boot. So lots of chances to bemoan the fact that I have to watch Washington and New York and such all friggin year.

    ReplyDelete