Friday, May 2, 2014

Damn you NHL! You are a train wreck!

I got very excited when the Wild one their first round series against the Avalanche.  I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I enjoyed getting behind the local team.  I got really excited to see them play the Blackhawks tonight.  As such, I used the DirecTV guide to find the game, and it was on NBCSHD.  Great!  Tune to channel!  What?  I don't get that channel?  The local team is not available to an individual who is paying $60+ per month?  It should be available on broadcast television.  If NHL players are wondering why they had their salaries severely cut during the last collective bargaining negotiations, just take a look at the number of casual fans who don't give a crap about your sport because you horribly-run organization doesn't even allow local fans to watch the games.  Oh well.  At least I have Rockets vs. Blazers to watch.  If only Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje was still a Trailblazer, then I would be completely content!

2 comments:

  1. Boumtje-Boumtje!!

    I'm gratified that I'm no longer the only person on here kvetching about TV broadcast rights. I'd be annoyed in your situation, but I also get pissed off by the NFL stuff (obviously). I don't really care that I can't get Thursday night games on NFL network (the three hours a week that network is worth something), but I used to love having a Monday night game--but no longer watch it because it's on ESPN (a network which is its own special brand of awful). Sure, we should have to pay for the product, but subjecting us to hours and hours of advertising is enough--and somehow, miraculously, made network television viable for decades. Oh, and now that I'm stuck in an East Coast market, all I get is NFC and AFC East games, which I have little/no interest in. Ducky. At least it frees up my Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to stream all the nfl games, until they found that out and they always freeze and are super choppy. when i was living in san diego i paid for an online subscription of mlb.tv so i could legally watch the games, about 25-30 of the sf games i tried to watch for some reason, because of broadcast right were blacked out and all i could do is stream a radio broadcast which was free anyways.
    however, broadcast rights at least when it comes to mlb has given the league more parity than any other. why the giants can sign a local broadcast deal with csnba and be able to compete with the yankees with the yes network.
    nhl screws itself over there is no argument there. why they haven't signed a national broadcast deal even for the playoffs baffles me. i watched the sharks lose game 6 to la on nhltv at an irish bar...

    ReplyDelete