Saturday, May 3, 2014

Boxing

I've never been a big fan of boxing. It was interesting mostly because of the personalities that were at their peak during the '90s and early 2000s. Tyson, Holyfield, Oscar De la Hoya, Lewis, etc etc. But nowadays I don't think i've ever cared less about a single sport in the entire world. I've caught myself watching bull fighting, darts, bowling on espn the last year. Not really paying attention but somewhat being an observer. It's the only sport where the top two fighters don't fight but yet one can remain the "champion." Why a network (showtime) paid mayweather 90 million dollars a year I will never know. Even MMA was entertaining to a degree. I got really into it a few years ago and now...eh....not really. But at least I respect those fighters way more than i do boxers. Boxing reminds me of people playing home run derby and than the dude that hit the most bragging about how he is the best baseball player. No, hitting is one element of baseball, just as boxing is of fighting. Mixed martial arts at least at the elite levels has so many fighters, using so many techniques and styles. Boxing is one element of many, that make me respect these fighters way more than boxing. Tell me I'm wrong but boxing is boring, out dated, and when you have a title fight set up that's not between the top fighters it's not a championship fight.

3 comments:

  1. Boxing is outdated, I agree. Mayweather's fights are just money grabs where he takes the money he's given to fight guys he knows he can beat. I guess somebody watches or else Showtime wouldn't give him the money. Not sure who does watch though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered about audience, too. I think I recall reading a few years ago that Latinos are still fans of boxing, and given that they are a growing demographic, I'd tend to guess that's where the remaining interest is coming from. Would love to see some actual data on this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want to see is a legit heavyweight fight. Years of the Klitsckos dodging each other hasn't helped the sport... I get why they didn't want to fight each other, but it really hurt the sport.

    ReplyDelete