Thursday, April 10, 2014

Growing up disappointed until...... 2010

I have loved the giants (sfg not nyg) and the niners since the day i graced this planet with my birth in 1984. I have no real recollection of the glory years of the niners. my first real memories of the nfl were playing volleyball at my neighbors, who had cable television and a bigger tv, and the bud bowl. During the 1994-95 nfl season i was blessed with my very first "favorite sports team" championship. the niners absolutely demolished the san diego stupids. but after that....i had nothing. i was only 10 thinking i had it all. I was young, starting 4th grade and my football team had just won the super bowl. sometime shortly thereafter chico got a semi pro team and won a championship in their inaugural campaign and never won again. I wasn't as concerned with the outcome of the games as i was with persuading my brothers friend don to give me free ice cream, getting huge boxes of cracker jacks and trying to convince girls to go get pizza at a nearby pizza place. 2 of the 3 were successful. after that there was nothing. the sacramento kings flirted with a championship, should' have beaten the lakers but david stern, good riddance jerkoff, fixed that series so that the bigger market lakers would beat the cowtown kings. the only thing that kept me sane was the fact that the notre dame sissynannies had yet to win another championship (my hatred for notre dame will be a later post) and every year they dont is like a victory in my book. but back to the story at point, championships or lack there of. i moved to san diego in late '08 to the saddest city, cleveland might be worst. i never became a fan of the padres, going to games but usually rooting for past steroid users to hit homers off the padres staff ( or triples in jason giambi's case). but then came the 2010 season. something was different with this team. something felt "right." earlier in the year i went back to scottsdale to watch them play the cinncinnati reds during the preseason. one of the patients at work was a financial advisor to the padres owner and part of his pay, was 4 season tickets, field level in the owners box, where all the food and drinks were comped ( i would've taken the money). however late in the season when the giants were making a push late in the season, still 5 games back of the padres and about 12 games left in the season, he gave me and a fellow coworker 2 of his tickets vs the giants. we showed up had about 14 beers, began heckling padres fans and booing the padres first base case who managed to discreetly flip us off on multiple occasions. it was a great game, giants won 1-0 and johnathon sanchez pitched one of his very few good games in the major leagues, so while pulling closer in what ended in a padres 10 game losing streak and the giants making up 8 games in 15 we punched our ticket to the postseason. Next we beat the braves and i believe the reds to reach the world series against the texas dicknoses. during the previous year i had been dating a girl who had many horrible qualities, one of them being a sarah palin fanatic....., was graduating from college. so being the good boyfriend i was i skipped her graduation to go party in san francisco with friends during halloween weekend and watching the world series...which ultimately was the end of our relationship!!!! but during that weekend i had my first REAL experience with my favorite sports franchise winning a championship. from watching game 3 and starting a chant of "FUCK YOU BUSH!" at a bar with about 150 people after fox showed the bushes attending the game to listening to the last strikeout at the terminal at the san francisco airport with about 10 cops on segways outside the car listening as well, and than running through the airport screaming giants and getting the congratulatory calls from dodgers fans. only 2 years later they were back, almost losing two previous series and than dominating the tigers in the world series all along myself aging about 10 years due to the stress. 3 months later my niners were in the super bowl, losing to the baltimore ravens. the moral of the story. i have been spoiled when i look back with success from my favorite sports teams. cal came close (still have nightmares), kings have been close (still have nightmares), san francisco giants have won 2, niners (1 that i remember). so though i may be angry when my teams lose i can look back and say boom, we have championships and you don't.

1 comment:

  1. I'd just moved to northern MN in 2010 when they won. I remember sitting alone at Brigid's for most of those games, making the Irish pub switch off soccer to put on baseball, wearing my Giants hat, and cheering like an idiot all by my onesy. I did manage to stick out like a sore thumb enough that I met the only other Giants fan in town (he went to law school at Cal), and got on a first-name basis with the bartenders. The 2012 version was similar--except in Virginia. Once again, watching by myself, having a beer when they won, and I got to revel in the victory alone. Not quite the fun of your experiences, but a taste of home in a new place, and a reminder of what those years in the '80s and '90s felt like with the Niners winning.

    ReplyDelete