Saturday, April 4, 2015

10-year olds and basketball

So I've been slacking, and haven't posted lately except to respond to Brennan. Partly that's because as far as I'm concerned, we're in a bit of a lull. Baseball and football are in their off-seasons and I just find their efforts (football more than baseball) to pretend that all the off-season garbage is spectacular off-putting. I may pay attention to the NBA playoffs, but until then, meh. I like the first few rounds of March Madness, when there are tons of games on simultaneously and I can just immerse myself, but I was way too busy to sit and watch this year. And is it hockey season?

Anyway, I also haven't posted lately because I've been a bit busy. Some of the weekends have been devoted to my kids' sports, a first for me. Both girls played basketball, though the younger (age 7) was mostly doing drills and practice. The older one (10), however, practiced with her team and then played a season. She hadn't played basketball before, and I didn't realize she had any interest at all until she asked to get signed up. She accidentally landed on a good team--only two of the girls had played before, but they were both pretty good (both can dribble and shoot); they had a first-time coach; and the rest of the girls learned and got better. Somehow, they ended up in the championship game--I'm not sure my daughter even realized what that actually meant, just that she got to play another game. They played a team that had been playing together for 4 years, and they were GOOD. Our team lost, but it was close, and nobody seemed too distressed by the outcome, which was just about perfect. Anyway, a few observations.

-Parents can be horrible. That's a shock to no one. But trying to coach your kid from the bleachers, and reducing her to tears? Jeez.
-Some coaches can make all the difference. Ours was great, and at the party at the end of the season, somehow didn't mention winning or losing a single time that I heard. And I have to point out, that's not because she was clueless--she talked about picks, and traps, and she coached 'em up.
-It's a big deal when these girls make their first shot in a game. I'm pretty sure every girl knows which game she made her first shot in. And we managed to get some baskets on film--video and photo. Great action shots, which are a blast.
-Also, it's funny to watch reactions during games. A shot goes in, and players celebrate--but oh yeah, there's still a game going on. I love it.
-Referees are...interesting. Some of these refs are clearly just making some money in between more serious work--they hammer on the whistle, call every damn thing, and yell back at coaches. Chill, dude. On the other hand, the most impressive refs call things closely enough, AND explain to the girls just what it is that they're calling.
-I do actually like watching basketball when I don't have to deal with constant commercials. It would be better if parents couldn't talk--just make it a blanket rule that parents can clap but make no other noise.

Now we apparently need to get a basket so we can play at home this summer. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment