Friday, February 13, 2015

Baseball HOF voting

I'm getting pretty sick of the hall of fame voting process.  There are comments (no quotes, too tired) that basically say that they think 8-10 guys are worthy, but they only voted for 5 or 6.  If they are worthy they are worthy.  Then there are the jackanapes' who refuse to vote for somebody first ballot.  Why the hell does it matter if they make it on the first ballot or not.  Spare me the respect for the game bullshit.  Finally, the voters who are waiting for proof that certain players didn't take steroids.  Do I think Jeff Bagwell took steroids?  Sure I do.  Do I have any proof except for him shrinking like a cold pen15 during his later years?  Nope.  If he has HOF numbers and was a HOF player, then vote for him.  Does Mike Piazza belong?  Yes he does.  So what if the guy had bacne.  Guy might just have oily skin.

Last thought.  Stop trying to champion average players.  Seriously.  Jack Morris was a so-so player with a couple of big moments.  He completed a lot of games because that's what pitchers did when he pitched.  Is Curt Schilling a HOFer because of a couple of World Series (his candidacy is debatable.. I say no)?

If you think a guy belongs, vote for him.  It really isn't complicated unless you have 11 you like (or 13 going forward).

2 comments:

  1. Agreed on some counts, not so much on others. I, too, am totally befuddled that voters can't pack their ballots full. Granted I'm a "big Hall" guy, but I easily go over 10 I think should be in. I get that others don't, but how even the reluctant voters don't come up with a bunch of votes I don't get. I do think policing first ballot is stupid, and so is making guesses as to who used PEDs and who didn't. If the guy was good enough relative to his peers, put him in.

    I am with you on the ridiculous support some guys get (I don't think Morris should be in), but I don't think Schilling's case rests on the World Series, though the post season work has to help him. Ignore wins/losses (admittedly modest) and look at his other numbers. Look at his peak, when he could have easily and defensibl won a couple of Cy Youngs if not for an all-timer in Randy Johnson. Schilling wasn't on that level, but he was damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....I hate the fact that sports writers who continue to not vote for a true legend on their first ballot because of some sort of point or vendetta they are trying to make continue to get a vote. If a voter doesn't vote for a player that is a 100% lock than they should lose their vote. I also hate that these same writers who praised the players during the steroid era and turned a blind eye now are playing the judge and jury with their vote.

    ReplyDelete