Thursday, June 12, 2014

Scuffling?

Jason the English Wizard can probably let me know if I am off base on this, but I can't stand the use of the word "scuffling" to describe a baseball player in a slump.  As far as I can tell, this term wasn't used until noted wordsmiths like John Kruk joined the crew.  I can't think of others off the top of my head that started this "revolution" but I know that Kruk is the first guy I ever heard say it.  To bolster my credentials in this case, I was an avid watcher of Baseball Tonight until about 25 years of age, which makes me a self-proclaimed expert!  Or not.

The word scuffle means "struggle" or "struggle to get by."  This does fit a batter who is struggling at the plate to a certain extent.  However, isn't struggle just a better word?  I've also heard (and used) the phrase "fighting it" to describe struggling.

With all of that said, to me a scuffle is a true fight.  I can understand a bench clearing brawl as two teams scuffling.  I feel like it is a stretch to call struggles with athletic performance scuffling.  In fact, every time I hear this term used, I immediately shut off whatever show/radio program is using it.  It just sounds wrong.

To end this rant (which I hope and pray Jason agrees with!), I recently heard the esteemed (not so much... he is an idiot) Kevin Gorg repeatedly use the word "scruffling" to describe a player struggling. Not cool, moron!  This guy is a sideline reporter/beat reporter known for being a complete idiot in the Twin Cities.  The question I have is:  Is scruffling a fight between multiple people to pick up a cat by the scruff?  If so, let's start a new sport and sell some tickets!

2 comments:

  1. You are hardly the only one bothered by this (http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=384804&start=10), but there does seem to be some rational basis for it as well (http://freakonomics.com/2011/07/28/a-scuffle-over-scuffle/). If Shapiro is right, and the term is borrowed from jazz, I think that's kind of cool--and I wonder where Kruk got it, because he seems more like a grunge guy. I do agree, however, that "struggle" is just a better word in this case, far more clear. "Scruffling" gets no such excuses, but if it is something akin to cat-jousting, it may have to become legit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Others weigh in: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/weingarten-the-ol-bull-game-players-dont-stink-they-scuffle-a-bit/2014/09/10/e319c4a0-2c6d-11e4-994d-202962a9150c_story.html

    ReplyDelete